Last Friday I went to see a psychologist. I had been postponing it for a long time, but I really needed to make a change. I even had some doubts about writing about it, but hey! This is called transparency, and no one is perfect, and everyone wants to feel completely happy. So, here we go…
It’s not Rocket Science
You see, when I have a toothache, I go to a dentist; but for some reason, going to a psychologist has a very negative stigma. My dad always told me that one can go through life with problems, and we do just fine. But at the same time, it is like carrying a 50 pounds luggage on the back while in the process. Wouldn’t it be easier to simply put down the bag and continue on our journey without that extra weight holding us down? Well, that’s what I want to do, get rid off this extra emotional weight that I carry with me. Interestingly, I see myself as a very happy person, but we all have unresolved issues that can be treated and can help us live better and happier. I’m on board!
What’s making me look for a change?
I always wonder why my son came to my life at the exact time when he did, and it finally hit me: he came to make me a better person and to make me overcome my problems to give him the best example. You see? There’s a reason why this blog is called “The Change Comes From Within.” I’m in the process of changing my behaviors, my thoughts and my feeling towards certain things. I’m a work in progress. My son has made me notice things that I need to work on, as an example, he motivated me to stop weighting myself everyday and I even wrote the post 10 Reason to Ditch the Scale and 10 Things That Happen when you Do It
Why you need to look for help?
- Because you’re a human, and you’re not perfect, and you have feelings, and that’s OK
- There’s always room for improvement.
- It will make your existence easier. Imagine learning to react or think differently to how you’ve always have.
- Therapy will help you have better relationships with others
- It will help you be in control of your life
- You’ll stop being a victim of the circumstances (because we all think we are the victim at some point or another)
- You will be able to take ownership or your actions
- You’ll have more mental clarity
- Metacognition, which is what differentiates us from other animals. For instance, a dog can think about a bone; but a human can think about the thought of that bone
- It is good and needed to see our problems (and lives) from a different perspective
If you think and feel you need some help, go ahead and get it. Don’t do it because someone is forcing you to do it, do it because your soul is looking for answers. After all, therapists have studied in order to help their patients. They are the right people to turn to.
You owe it to yourself to be happy! The change really comes from within…